| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us |  
top_img
J Korean Soc Emerg Med > Volume 22(3); 2011 > Article
Journal of The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine 2011;22(3): 291-294.
Digitalis (Cardiac Glycoside) Poisoning after Foxglove Ingestion: Case Report
Gil Myeong Seong, Seung Jae Joo, Song Yi Kim
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jeju National University, School of Medicine, Jeju, Korea. ttoromom@jejunu.ac.kr
ABSTRACT
Digoxin, also known as digitalis, is a purified cardiac glycoside extracted from the foxglove plant, Digitalis purpurea. Digoxin-mediated cardiac glycoside toxicity due to accidental plant ingestion can occur. Presently, a 69-year-old woman visited our emergency department with epigastric pain, nausea and vomiting after ingestion of a plant. Physical examination and initial laboratory blood test results were within normal limits. An electrocardiogram (ECG) showed sinus bradycardia with first degree AV block and diffuse ST-segment depressions in a "scooping" pattern. The plant was identified as D. purpurea, and the patient's serum digoxin level was 2.89 ng/mL. The patient was treated conservatively in the absence of any life-threatening event. Recovery was uneventful.
Key words: Digitalis, Plant, Poisoning, Electrocardiography
TOOLS
PDF Links  PDF Links
Full text via DOI  Full text via DOI
Download Citation  Download Citation
Share:      
METRICS
1,612
View
28
Download
Related article
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Reversible Hemiparesis: Case Reports  2014 April;25(2)
Editorial Office
The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine
TEL: +82-62-226-1780   FAX: +82-62-224-3501   E-mail: dlskdud416@naver.com
About |  Browse Articles |  Current Issue |  For Authors and Reviewers
Copyright © The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine.                 Developed in M2PI